da Vinci® Surgery
da Vinci Pyleoplasty Surgery in Cleveland, OH
da Vinci® Pyeloplasty (Urinary Reconstruction Surgery)
If you or a loved one has a urinary obstruction (something that blocks the flow of urine), your doctor may suggest surgery. This type of surgery is called pyeloplasty. Doctors remove the blockage and reattach the healthy part of the kidney to the healthy part of the ureter (tube that carries urine from the kidneys to the bladder).
Surgery can be done using open surgery through one large incision (cut). It can also be done using minimally invasive surgery – through a few small incisions – with traditional laparoscopy or da Vinci Surgery.
Why da Vinci Surgery?
The da Vinci System is a robotic-assisted surgery device that your surgeon is 100% in control of at all times. The da Vinci System gives surgeons:
- A 3D HD view inside your body
- Wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human hand
- Enhanced vision, precision and control
da Vinci Pyeloplasty offers the following potential benefits compared to traditional open surgery for pediatric patients:
- Shorter length of stay1, 2
- Shorter narcotic utilization1, 2
- Minimal scarring
da Vinci Pyeloplasty offers the following potential benefits compared to traditional laparoscopy:
- Shorter hospital stay 3, 4
da Vinci Pyeloplasty offers the following potential benefits compared to traditional laparoscopy for pediatric patients:
- Shorter hospital stay 2, 4
The da Vinci System has brought minimally invasive surgery to more than 3 million patients worldwide. da Vinci technology – changing the experience of surgery for people around the world.
Risks & Considerations Related to Pyeloplasty (surgery for a urinary blockage): infection of the kidney, leaking of urine, narrowing of the urethra, bowel injury, kidney stones, narrowing or movement of the stent, blood in the urine, prolonged leaking of urine.
- D. Bansal, N.G. Cost, W.R. DeFoor Jr, P.P. Reddy, E.A. Minevich, B.A. Vanderbrink, S. Alam, C.A. Sheldon, P.H. Noh; Infant robotic pyeloplasty: Comparison with an open cohort. Journal of Pediatric Urology (2014) 10, 380e385.
- Cundy T, Harling L, Hughes-Hallett A, Mayer E, Najmaldin A, Athanasiou T, Yang G, Darzi A; Meta-analysis of robotic-assisted vs conventional laparoscopic and open pyeloplasty in children. BJU International, 2014; doi:10.1111/bju.12683
- Hemal AK, Mukherjee S, Singh K; Laparoscopic pyeloplasty versus robotic pyeloplasty ureteropelvic junction obstruction: a series of 60 cases performed by a single surgeon. Can J Urol. 2010 Feb;17(1):5012-6.
- Wang F, Xu Y, Zhong H; Robot-assisted versus laparoscopic pyeloplasty for patients with ureteropelvic junction obstruction: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Scandinavian Journal of Urology, doi:10.3109/21681805.2013.780184.
PN 1002153 Rev C 10/2016
Important Safety Information
Patients should talk to their doctors to decide if da Vinci® surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on nonsurgical and surgical options and associated risks in order to make an informed decision.
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci surgery, up to and including death. Serious risks include, but are not limited to, injury to tissues and organs and conversion to other surgical techniques, which could result in a longer operative time and/or increased complications. For Important Safety Information, including surgical risks, indications, and considerations and contraindications for use, please also refer to www.intuitive.com/safety.
Individuals' outcomes may depend on a number of factors, including but not limited to patient characteristics, disease characteristics, and/or surgeon experience.
Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intuitive Surgical, or of their respective holders.
©2019 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.
This website does not provide medical advice. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
The materials on this website are for general educational information only. Information you read on this website cannot replace the relationship that you have with your healthcare professional. Intuitive Surgical does not practice medicine or provide medical services or advice and the information on this website should not be considered medical advice. You should always talk to your healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment. Health information changes quickly. Therefore, it is always best to consult with your healthcare provider.
If you have questions about the da Vinci® Surgical System or about surgical procedures conducted with the da Vinci Surgical System, consult a surgeon that has experience with the da Vinci Surgical System. A list of surgeons that have experience with the da Vinci Surgical System can be found in the Surgeon Locator.